Thursday 22 September 2016

Brian's Class follow-up

Whilst Brian's class helped me map out some ideas, I still felt like I wasn't confident in my direction so I continued working on sorting my project direction at home.

Mind Map No.2:

All the areas I've looked at seem to correspond to world building in some way, whether I want to do comics/illustration/an art book or something interactive.

I really like the idea of creating an interactive art book, or an art book that accompanies some interactive pieces. This wold create audience engagement, it would be a good portfolio piece and would allow me to create an art book (which really excites me).

I also think adding interaction to concept art would be really interesting, it would aid world-building, character development and the concept development process. It would help put a concept across more effectively by involving human senses (other than sight). 

All in all I think interactivity would make concept art more effective in portraying a concept. 

"Imagine a dingy back-alley concept piece with smell and light and movement? For example..."

* * *

Continuing this exercise has helped me figure out what direction I want ot go in for my project an what I can begin reading about/exploring. Using these mood boards, I can begin to answer some of the questions talked about in Lynn's lecture this week:

Q: Make your project about an issue that has current social, economic or professional significance.

A: Out of the three, I think my proposal idea has the most professional significance. By looking at adding movement to concept art I will be altering a current, set professional practice. (Hopefully for the better).

Q: What are your current problems, ideas or knowledge gaps?

A:  My current problems are that I know, not much, about adding interactivity to concept art. Obviously I know interactive art is a thing and that adding animation to art isn't a new concept. My brief google searches into adding interactivity to art books/concept art though have come up blank so I don't know whether it has been attempted before in any significant way. An issue I may face is that adding animation to concept art/art makes the concepting process too time consuming and impractical for professional practice. Despite this though, for a final work up of a concept, I feel the extra time spent on a small amount of interactivity could really help get a concept across in a much more effective way, making the additional time spent creating the piece worthwhile.
 
Q: Build a rational argument and demonstrate the value in your research; Who will be interested in your research? What can you gain from it? Where does the research take you? Why is it interesting? How does it help you? 

A: The value of my research is something I will be looking at exploring over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I will be better equipt to answer this question when I have done more research into my subject matter.

Q: It is important to distinguish what your project is not about, as much as it is to explain what it is about.

A: I want to look at adding interactivity to art to benefit world/concept building. I don't want to end up getting too wrapped up in interactivity and animation to the point that it is no longer accenting the art, its just becoming an animated/interactive piece in its own right.

Q: What methods, materials and tools will you use?

A: Photoshop, Unity, some kind of printing service (or I could look at binding my own book), I also want to look into ways to make the art interactive/tactile/involve different senses. I'm not sure what I'll need for that last point yet but I'll look into it. 

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment